Welcome to Pure Warfare - The #1 Community for Pures

Welcome to Pure Warfare - The #1 Community for Pures, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Pure Warfare - The #1 Community for Pures by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Racism - Should It Matter As Much As It Does?

Quode

This is a little bit of a deeper topic, and one that I don't expect many one-lined responses on, besides possibly the "tl;dr" from a few.

Many individuals in the world acknowledge and recognize their prejudicial tendencies and "racist" instincts, which are mostly based upon childhood teachings and experiences in the first place. Across the globe nearly, in almost any country that isn't a third-world, there are programs and people who teach awareness of the matter and profess to go off of fairness rather than prejudice, for the greater good and understanding of different cultures.

However (in America at least), the issue has taken an extreme path in regards to severity and actual practice, and because of it there have been many laws passed in the past century (20th), that have not only in my opinion increased the amount of racism in actual numerical population, but have also FLIPPED the balance entirely, where as opposed to the Minority holding control over the Majority, it is now the Majority who if they wished could stomp out the Minority.

Specifically I'm referring to the black vs white controversy that has been around for ages, and although I'm not naive enough to say that the problem is completely solved and fixed (KKK, ABT, etc etc), I do not believe it necessary to have some of the "education" in regards to the topic that is taught in classrooms. For example, in America there is a celebration of African-American (black) historical figures and heroes, that is supposed to be apart of the entire month of February, and so is titled as "Black History Month" by media, government, and school systems.

Morgan Freeman (black actor) was once quoted as saying he did *not* support the having of a Black History Month assigned to the calender and taught to children. His point, which I'll re-iterate, was quite valid, stating that you can't ever expect something to disappear if you insist on bringing it back up and essentially RE-TEACHING it to each and every generation that comes and goes. By having a Black History Month you bring about the argument, well why isn't there an Asian History Month? Or a European History Month? Or even a White History Month?

Hell if you really want to go on about races being treated unfairly, Americans treated the American Native Americans (Indians) FAR FAR worse than they did the black African-Americans, despite the issues concerning voting and slavery and what not. Americans KILLED the Indians homes and territory, they didn't let them stay on, even as slave-workers (who by the way most had families housed and taken care of), and were all crammed to death along the Trail of Tears back in the 19th century.

TL;DR version:

I believe "racism" these days is far too often coined as an excuse in attempt to "make amends" for the horrible facts of history more than a century old in many cases, and in today's society needs to be briefly touched on, reprimanded and warned against, and then left the **** alone. There shouldn't be a "special" history for just one race, there shouldn't be an "Everyone is a star" mentality that drives people to hide behind excuses, and ultimately people need to get over themselves and the "history" they're taught and instead focus on THEMSELVES and THEIR life(ves), and thus make the world a better place.

Like I said this is an open and deeper discussion, but I'd like to get some replies from people on the boards who bother reading just to see some other opinions.

Proud Founder of the NMEKU

Proud ex-Advanced EOP.

Proud ex-Legend NME.

Proud current +Oldschool of Hi.

I don't condone racism, I'm against it, but I find the way we moderate it rather stupid, in the UK at least. It seems more action is taken against certain minorities for racism in comparison to others, I believe in strict action against racism, but I feel the same consequences should be applicable to all.

tbGUZ.png

iTmiT.png

It's a topic well worth discussing whether the practical and on-going measures taken against racism and intolerance during the 20th century carry positive, neutral or even negative effects today. I'm not that familiar with the programs in the US but intuitively I think Mr. Freeman might be onto something with his statement regarding the Black History Month. It seems that as long as there are programs and measures that discourage racial discrimination, new generations will embrace that very same ideology on racial differences.

This, at least, if you are right in assuming that racial discrimination is not as relevant a problem as it perhaps was when the measures were first taken. Certainly there is still, even if for just historical reasons, an observable social hierarchy that correlates well with ethnic background in the US. The mean income and living standards of black and hispanic population are lower than those of the white population. We can disregard whether this is due to racism or other factors (inheritance, family background, etc.), but it's reality, and affects how the new generations view the society around them. I would therefore argue that there is in any case some basis for continuing the sort of education that works against racial intolerance, lowering the intensity until one day, perhaps, the term "race" will only exist as a historical curiosity.

128250368099.gif

It's a topic well worth discussing whether the practical and on-going measures taken against racism and intolerance during the 20th century carry positive, neutral or even negative effects today. I'm not that familiar with the programs in the US but intuitively I think Mr. Freeman might be onto something with his statement regarding the Black History Month. It seems that as long as there are programs and measures that discourage racial discrimination, new generations will embrace that very same ideology on racial differences.

This, at least, if you are right in assuming that racial discrimination is not as relevant a problem as it perhaps was when the measures were first taken. Certainly there is still, even if for just historical reasons, an observable social hierarchy that correlates well with ethnic background in the US. The mean income and living standards of black and hispanic population are lower than those of the white population. We can disregard whether this is due to racism or other factors (inheritance, family background, etc.), but it's reality, and affects how the new generations view the society around them. I would therefore argue that there is in any case some basis for continuing the sort of education that works against racial intolerance, lowering the intensity until one day, perhaps, the term "race" will only exist as a historical curiosity.

I can consent to the majority of that, and it's a valid point that I doubt most society will ultimately comprehend, sadly.

Proud ex-Advanced EOP.

Proud ex-Legend NME.

Condescension is rooted to human instinct, you can't change it lol. Anything that you can use to differentiate two groups and argue your superiority will be used, unfortunately the colour of ones skin is the easiest and simplest.

#mayhem-makers

Very nice topic Quode, I have often pondered this idea. Ive even watched the Morgan Freeman interview on youtube and agree and understand his mindset.

There was this big blowup by the media in Canada a few weeks ago when a black hockey player was taking a shootout and someone threw a banana on the ice. I dont think they should have made such a big deal about it because they are just cultivating more racism from reactions.

When a 10 year old kid sees this he doesn't connect 1 and 1 and sees it as racist. He just sees it as a funny joke "llol he threw food on the ice" ...

Maybe if we were all as innocent (/ignorant) as children the world would be a better place.

Sometimes the people adressing racist actions are the most racist of all. A true nobleman should just cease to believe it exists and treat his/her fellow man as equal. The future is the only place where I see this being possible. Not for many many years

[x] Group venge -- [x] Maxed Turmoil -- F2P retired

Starcraft 2 | Team Liquid

There shouldn't be a "special" history for just one race, there shouldn't be an "Everyone is a star" mentality that drives people to hide behind excuses, and ultimately people need to get over themselves and the "history" they're taught and instead focus on THEMSELVES and THEIR life(ves), and thus make the world a better place.

This line right here just proves you have something against the fact that Black people for receiving benefits for actions made in the past by their oppressors. Because

of OUR history we grow up in bad environments. You act like you know what your talking about but you really don't.

A.) And i'm so tired of people always wondering why Black people have black history month and no other race does in America. Ironically its always a white person who

ask. Not an asian or even hispanic person. Well lets just say that in America every month is WHITE History month. In school we dont learn about every person that

contributed to where we are today as a country. We study George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, and any other white hero.

B.) Please don't compare the Native America vs African American experience. The whole argument that Native Americans should get more because

they were treated worse just sounds stupid. You act as if African Americans had it easy because they had their family members with them? But you fail

to mention that in a majority of cases the families were soon SPLIT up once arriving to a plantation and the daughters were raped by slave masters.

C.) I don't care what Morgan Freeman says or anyone else for that matter. Because you don't learn how move on from a situation by tossing it to

the side or forgetting it. You MUST always reteach and emphasize how horrible the events of the past which weren't a ******* century ago (it was actually like

50 years ago Civil Right Movement) so that we never forget otherwise its bound to happen again.

To answer your question YES it should matter as much as it does.

Click for the cookies
IKJ0k.gif

There shouldn't be a "special" history for just one race, there shouldn't be an "Everyone is a star" mentality that drives people to hide behind excuses, and ultimately people need to get over themselves and the "history" they're taught and instead focus on THEMSELVES and THEIR life(ves), and thus make the world a better place.

This line right here just proves you have something against the fact that Black people for receiving benefits for actions made in the past by their oppressors. Because

of OUR history we grow up in bad environments. You act like you know what your talking about but you really don't.

A.) And i'm so tired of people always wondering why Black people have black history month and no other race does in America. Ironically its always a white person who

ask. Not an asian or even hispanic person. Well lets just say that in America every month is WHITE History month. In school we dont learn about every person that

contributed to where we are today as a country. We study George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, and any other white hero.

B.) Please don't compare the Native America vs African American experience. The whole argument that Native Americans should get more because

they were treated worse just sounds stupid. You act as if African Americans had it easy because they had their family members with them? But you fail

to mention that in a majority of cases the families were soon SPLIT up once arriving to a plantation and the daughters were raped by slave masters.

C.) I don't care what Morgan Freeman says or anyone else for that matter. Because you don't learn how move on from a situation by tossing it to

the side or forgetting it. You MUST always reteach and emphasize how horrible the events of the past which weren't a ******* century ago (it was actually like

50 years ago Civil Right Movement) so that we never forget otherwise its bound to happen again.

To answer your question YES it should matter as much as it does.

And that's fine, I see that point as well, but why doesn't the school systems teach about Black Panthers and the pro-violence groups within that organization that did things the equivalent of the KKK? I'm playing devil's advocate so to speak, because I actually have had mexicans here in TX ask why there isn't a Hispanic Month or anything like that everytime February comes around.

My problem is that they choose and select which events in history to teach about and what example to harp about. They being the media/government/school systems. I'm not saying completely disregard all of that history, but harping about it for an entire month is going to do nothing but bring up simulated emotions amongst a younger generation who never actually went through any of those horrors and events, and considering the amount of people in the last 10-20 years that are of the opinion that everything is owed to them, I just think it's wrong and detrimental to society.

I'm saying don't forget, but don't try and MAKE it a problem today, because as far as political and population groupings go, racism as it was isn't nearly to the extreme it was 60-100+ years ago. It wouldn't be a problem if people didn't insist that people under the age of 50 and 60 owe the world something for crimes they weren't alive to commit.

But like I said I do see/agree with points of your argument, that's the reason I made this topic :)

Proud ex-Advanced EOP.

Proud ex-Legend NME.

I don't live in America, so I can't comment on some of these points. Personally, I think were not going fair enough to stop Racism. Just recently in British Media, there's been two cases where Racism, has caused upset or worse. The reasons of which these stories where made public is just discussing. Honestly, makes me feel sick a person can kill just for a race.

I believe everybody in this world is ''Equal''. It shouldn't matter about race, religion, sexuality, etc.. It's just stupid people still think a different person is better than the other. Really does annoy me, as we all need to love each other.

ezreal_sprite_by_gnahzdivad-d52afck.png
Electriq • European West (EUW) • Gold Division IV Sejuani's Hunters

Really, every race has it's name and everyone from any race always picks upon another race. Essentially everyone is racists to another culture, and its shared out around equally. As much as one country wants to get rid of it, they are being raced upon and give it back just as much as its given. Theres equality with racism around the world and everyone dishes it out as much as someone from another race dishes it out to you.

Its not that much of a serious plague anymore as its common everywhere you go. No matter your race, no matter where your from your race is racists to another race and another race is racists to your race.

Exiled Force

Ex Activation | Ex Zenith

I believe everybody in this world is ''Equal''. It shouldn't matter about race, religion, sexuality, etc.. It's just stupid people still think a different person is better than the other. Really does annoy me, as we all need to love each other.

Personally I find that thought absurd. We are NOT born with equal abilities. Your sex, race, genes... there are plenty of things that make us different from each other the minute we are born here. I don't think I'd go too far to state that NOBODY is equal, we're all unique.

There is a major difference between equal treatment and actual equality between human beings, a difference often disregarded because the war on racism has made it a taboo. If you go on to discuss these differences in public you are seen as intolerant, sexist, racist.

I have a thought or two, I'll continue this post later, too tired atm

128250368099.gif

I personally feel racists are sick, some people think it isnt even around anymore. Well they are blind.

Hopefully as a society we can grow away from all forms of racism.

"So count your money, ill count my friends, we will see who's richer in the end."

Ynxx0.gif

Proud Founder of We Are Royalty

Proud to have been Council of Enemy

Proud to have been Member of Fatality

Proud Council of Epidemic

warfc.png

I Bleed Teal

#WAR-RS

• 4 months later...

An issue that has been in Human history forever

Proud Ex-Council of Ascent

Proud Ex-Officer of Sovereign