Welcome to Pure Warfare - The #1 Community for Pures

Welcome to Pure Warfare - The #1 Community for Pures, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Pure Warfare - The #1 Community for Pures by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

What happends when you die?

Davey

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

consciousness can't be a physical matter.

so separation from body will be expected.

Why? If we create a machine with a consciousness by duplicating all the neural processes that lead to consciousness, don't we have a consciousness consisting entirely of matter?

What is consciousness if not matter?

128250368099.gif

Why? If we create a machine with a consciousness by duplicating all the neural processes that lead to consciousness, don't we have a consciousness consisting entirely of matter?

Hoping I live to see that day, then I'd probably stop believing in some higher power :whistling: (too bad it will probably never happen)

Signature is too large
[img=http://cdn2.maxim.com/blender/files/2009/06/08/roots/FlavorFlav_1a.jpg]

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEdiots.

Hoping I live to see that day, then I'd probably stop believing in some higher power :whistling: (too bad it will probably never happen)

If consciousness is not a result of the neural processes in our brain, how exactly does your higher power create consciousness?

128250368099.gif

well...u lay in the ground, dats about it

Combat Level: 110+12 ..::.. Pureclanin since 2k7
Proud Ex-Warlord Of Menace
Proud EX-Officer of WAR
Proud Ex-Elite Of Enormity

Proud Current Member Of Zenith
b6schv.gif

Well technically we can never know for sure because as people die and come back they have stories of what happen but those cannot be proven. When people die for good they don't live to tell what happens. When you, yourself dies you could maybe know if there's another place where you can actively think and recognize what happened, but more than likely you're not alive to know.

Tl;dr no one will ever truly know.

council1.gifProud Ex-High Council of Fatality

111127211342.png

Best response I've read.

Why is that? We can simulate many conscious and unconscious processes already and with the pace that neuroscience is moving forward I wouldn't be surprised to see a conscious machine before my death. What happens to your precious dualism when we can put together the material pieces that make up consciousness?

128250368099.gif

Best response I've read.

Why is that? We can simulate many conscious and unconscious processes already and with the pace that neuroscience is moving forward I wouldn't be surprised to see a conscious machine before my death. What happens to your precious dualism when we can put together the material pieces that make up consciousness?

I can tell you're a black and white kind of guy. (also arrogant, but I'll leave that out ;p)

A machine may soon be able to become "conscious", but again that is arguable. Do you really feel that your dreams, your emotion, your physical awareness or your thoughts can be compared to metal programmed with advanced circuitry identifying itself in a mirror? If you do I slightly feel sorry for you, but that's the thing, I couldn't say. Your understanding of emotion or yourself may be robotic, but I could never know. That's the thing about life, you can only interpret it in the way that you experience it as an individual. That's why even if it were "achieved", it could never be measured.

Not here to talk about my interpretation of my own existence with you though.

I've read a few of your posts over the last while, you're a cynical person and you believe you're omniscient, (A common symptom of adolescence). Please save me from your half-assed pseudo-scientific explanation of life after death. (Unless you're right, of course. In that case let's grab you a brightly coloured robe, a microphone, then crown you as King of Humanity so you can preach to the ignorant.)

Something as complex as the human consciousness will never be replicated, ever. I'm not even a religious person, I just feel that we're far from fully understanding our own awareness and connection to something greater.

OT:

When we die, who knows?

That's the best part of an adventure

Dv TR NME
2008-2012
2ce2o91.gif

Best response I've read.

I can tell you're a black and white kind of guy. (also arrogant, but I'll leave that out ;p)

First of all, thank you for the detailed answer.

A machine may soon be able to become "conscious", but again that is arguable. Do you really feel that your dreams, your emotion, your physical awareness or your thoughts can be compared to metal programmed with advanced circuitry identifying itself in a mirror? If you do I slightly feel sorry for you, but that's the thing, I couldn't say. Your understanding of emotion or yourself may be robotic, but I could never know. That's the thing about life, you can only interpret it in the way that you experience it as an individual. That's why even if it were "achieved", it could never be measured.

Not here to talk about my interpretation of my own existence with you though.

I have no counter-argument here. I just wanted to hear the reasoning behind your argument and for the record, I fully agree. Here's where I stand: the subjective experience of consciousness can and propably will not be measured or described to its full extent. We can eventually describe every process leading to it but we will propably always fall short of the experience of consciousness.

What then is this first-person experience? Philosophers since Descartes have described it as "mind" or "spirit" or "Absolute", ultimately meaning the same thing, an alternate substance to matter with the causal relationship having multiple explanations. The more interesting question to me isn't "what" consciousness is, it is "why" consciousness is. Reversed: Why are we not philosophical zombies?

I've read a few of your posts over the last while, you're a cynical person and you believe you're omniscient, (A common symptom of adolescence). Please save me from your half-assed pseudo-scientific explanation of life after death. (Unless you're right, of course. In that case let's grab you a brightly coloured robe, a microphone, then crown you as King of Humanity so you can preach to the ignorant.)

Takes one to know one, I suppose :teehee:

Something as complex as the human consciousness will never be replicated, ever. I'm not even a religious person, I just feel that we're far from fully understanding our own awareness and connection to something greater.

This reminds me of a quote by the physician of one of the Egyptian pharaohs somewhere around 1500 BC:

"The limits of human knowledge have not yet been reached"

I think this is where we differ in thought, because I'll never go as far as say that something that can perhaps be done in principle will never be done in practice.

128250368099.gif

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think we can live without a conciousness. Even animals have a conciousness.

I do agree with David though, we interpret things our own way, but I do believe this can be ****** with aswell. Let's say you grew up in a town where killing is normal, you would not feel sorry. If you'd move to a different country where killing is an absolute nono, you get put into jail for killing someone facing the worst punishment there is.

I believe that a conciousness is psychological, that is why we can never replicate it correctly.. But then again, I don't think we will ever fully understand it. There's more questions like, what do borderline people think when they do a suicide attempt? Why do people say they're not sorry for killing someone? Why don't you kill flabby for his berserker ring?

#Fatality

209mwyg.gif

I don't think we can live without a conciousness. Even animals have a conciousness.

I do agree with David though, we interpret things our own way, but I do believe this can be ****** with aswell. Let's say you grew up in a town where killing is normal, you would not feel sorry. If you'd move to a different country where killing is an absolute nono, you get put into jail for killing someone facing the worst punishment there is.

I believe that a conciousness is psychological, that is why we can never replicate it correctly.. But then again, I don't think we will ever fully understand it. There's more questions like, what do borderline people think when they do a suicide attempt? Why do people say they're not sorry for killing someone? Why don't you kill flabby for his berserker ring?

Are you perhaps mistaking consciousness for conscience?

128250368099.gif

I'm generally ok with the idea that nothing happens and you just fall into an eternal sleep.

I like sleep.

Everyone likes sleep.

Maybe it's just practice for death?

I'm tired, going to sleep.

Proud Ex - High Council of Epidemic
Proud Ex - Leader of Enemy
Proud Mayhem Maker