Welcome to Pure Warfare - The #1 Community for Pures

Welcome to Pure Warfare - The #1 Community for Pures, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Pure Warfare - The #1 Community for Pures by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Do you believe in...

Rino-Addy

Ghosts?

Such an interesting debate topic in my opinion.

Do you believe in them? Do you think they exist; what are they made of? If you do, what do you think how do they "enter" this world; this dimension?

Personally I never had real experiences with ghosts..But I do believe in them, despite the fact that I am Atheist (One of the rare things I actually partly believe in, are ghosts).

There's been many TV shows about them, millions of pictures/videos, but probably 99% of them are FAKE, to gain publicity and such. I do not believe in god or anything like that, but the fact that ghosts are one of the most discussed subjects in science world makes me wonder if they really exist?

What do you think?

smartestmember.jpg

On a scale from 1-100 I'd say I'm 95% sure ghosts don't exist, at least in the sense they are generally perceived, that is spirits with a human form of a kind. A much more likely possibility is that the substance that forms our mind and consciousness continues its existence in some form that interacts with the environment after we leave our bodies.

I believe this was already discussed on Davey's topic.

128250368099.gif

A much more likely possibility is that the substance that forms our mind and consciousness continues its existence in some form that interacts with the environment after we leave our bodies.

And that form, I believe, are ghosts.

smartestmember.jpg

why would there be ghost busters if there aren't ghosts?

^^^^^^^^

bm16L.png

-Proud member of #TLP
-Proud former member of #Dpures

(14:27:02) <@Furious> Next season I hope there will be a "most biased and hated moderator award" I would hands down win it

No.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

-Carl Sagan

While there is no evidence that human consciousness would, in any form, live past our bodies, there is no evidence to suggest that it doesn't either. What is human consciousness, is it only matter or are there other forms of substance? Science has no answer as of yet, but it is at least entertaining to consider the possibility that there are.

128250368099.gif

No.

-Carl Sagan

While there is no evidence that human consciousness would, in any form, live past our bodies, there is no evidence to suggest that it doesn't either. What is human consciousness, is it only matter or are there other forms of substance? Science has no answer as of yet, but it is at least entertaining to consider the possibility that there are.

Ah, the argument from ignorance. While scientist haven't disproved ghosts, they haven't yet disproved the invisible unicorn in my backyard either.

I'm all for entertaining possibilities, but ghosts are just plain nonsense.

A few interesting things to think about when considering the existence of ghosts:

Purportedly ghosts have the ‘magical’ capabilities to travel through walls, levitate etc. Powers they didn’t have when they were alive. They move objects all the time – but never get behind the wheels of a car and drive, type a letter on a computer or light-up a Bensons and Hedges. When it comes to interacting with humans all ghosts want to do is scare the **** out of the living in the dead of night. Aimless activity, no-one has been able to detect with any surety.

Ghosts come in one form – that just happens to be human - which is conveniently what we bipedal-chimps want to see, and not say a dead cow hovering at the end of ones bed. Have you ever heard of the legend of oceans being haunted by ghostly plankton?

Ghosts just happen to be nocturnal, preferring night-time to ‘do their thing’. So when you die you suddenly become adverse to daylight – right?

Ghosts are allergic to large crowds. ‘The Ghost of Super Bowl’ or ‘The Ghost of F.A Cup’ – I don’t think so.

If you can walk through walls why don’t you simply drop through the floor as well?

Seeing that potentially we living-humans share the planet with 60 billion spirits, comprising all of humanities dead – where do these hordes of living-dead spend their time? I mean where do they live? Caves? The bottom of the ocean? The stratosphere? Six to a house?

Let me remind you, these quotes are describing the stereotypical ghosts that people believe in today.

MBICX.png

3rMDx.png

No.

-Carl Sagan

Ah, the argument from ignorance. While scientist haven't disproved ghosts, they haven't yet disproved the invisible unicorn in my backyard either.

I doubt you have any knowledge of this unicorn you speak of, but you propably do have knowledge of your existence and the existence of your consciousness. Science doesn't offer a complete, objective view on the origins of consciousness. Some argue it never will nor could. When it comes to consciousness, it isn't all that unreasonable to assume that all possibilities are still open. Even if you reject the idea of any substance other than matter, quantum physics show us that many unexpected things are possible even in the realm of matter. My hand is at the same time attached to my arm and on the other side of the universe. So is every electron to ever exist. Your intuition counts for very little in the world beneath what our eyes can see, the fundamental mechanics of the universe.

128250368099.gif

No.

-Carl Sagan

I doubt you have any knowledge of this unicorn you speak of, but you propably do have knowledge of your existence and the existence of your consciousness. Science doesn't offer a complete, objective view on the origins of consciousness. Some argue it never will nor could. When it comes to consciousness, it isn't all that unreasonable to assume that all possibilities are still open. Even if you reject the idea of any substance other than matter, quantum physics show us that many unexpected things are possible even in the realm of matter. My hand is at the same time attached to my arm and on the other side of the universe. So is every electron to ever exist. Your intuition counts for very little in the world beneath what our eyes can see, the fundamental mechanics of the universe.

Your argument is very broad, and leaves the door wide open for my invisible unicorn.

Just because we can't prove something doesn't exists, doesn't mean it probably does. The philosophic burden of proof is on the individual making the unfalsifiable claims. In this case, ghosts of the supernatural phenomenon.

MBICX.png

3rMDx.png

No.

-Carl Sagan

Your argument is very broad, and leaves the door wide open for my invisible unicorn.

Just because we can't prove something doesn't exists, doesn't mean it probably does. The philosophic burden of proof is on the individual making the unfalsifiable claims. In this case, ghosts of the supernatural phenomenon.

I never said that ghosts propably exist.

On a scale from 1-100 I'd say I'm 95% sure ghosts don't exist, at least in the sense they are generally perceived, that is spirits with a human form of a kind.

I'm trying to guide the discussion into a more fruitful direction, to the nature of things that exist, that in fact exist with more precision than anything else; the nature of human consciousness. Because if we're here to discuss ghosts, what else would their essence be than that derived from human consciousness(soul, if you will), one of the most persistent mysteries in the universe? To have a discussion on ghosts we should therefore consider the origins and form of human consciousness. Where does consciousness come from? Does it consist of matter or another substance? Is there matter or another substance? Is consciousness a human-specific feature or can we find it elsewhere in nature?

128250368099.gif

No.

-Carl Sagan

pos·si·ble/ˈpäsəbəl/

Adjective:

Able to be done; within the power or capacity of someone or something.

Noun:

A person or thing that has the potential to become or do something.

Synonyms:

feasible - potential - probable - likely - contingent

MBICX.png

3rMDx.png

No.

-Carl Sagan

pos·si·ble/ˈpäsəbəl/

Adjective:

Able to be done; within the power or capacity of someone or something.

Noun:

A person or thing that has the potential to become or do something.

Synonyms:

feasible - potential - probable - likely - contingent

I don't want to debate the existence of ghosts for exactly the same reasoning that you are using here. I haven't made any argument there except the same one that you used, that the existence or nonexistence of ghosts is an unfalsifiable claim. Consciousness is not. We can verify the existence of consciousness, so its nature, or at least the possibility of having information of its nature, is very much a debatable subject.

But if you're not interested in discussing that, we can end this here, because I have no desire to debate rhetorics.

128250368099.gif