Welcome to Pure Warfare - The #1 Community for Pures

Welcome to Pure Warfare - The #1 Community for Pures, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Pure Warfare - The #1 Community for Pures by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Democracy

Nippon

Thought I'd make a topic since I haven't used this section since pure community.

Simply put, do you believe in the possibility of nationwide or worldwide democracy anywhere in the world anytime in the future?

Wikipedia:

Democracy is a political form of government in which governing power is derived from the people

In this sense it is pretty clear(though go ahead and argue otherwise) that there has never been a true democratic nation in the world, as the power of majority to decide and hold absolute power has always been restrained by force (-> totalitarism) or propaganda (->western "democracy") or more likely a combination of both.

Of course it seems impossible that there could ever be a society of people where every person is able to think independently, which can be seen as the requisite for true democracy. But if even a majority of people could understand the basic principles and mechanisms of a working human society(a society that respects and abides by the moral values of its inhabitants?) and form their own opinions through absolute transparency of information and in respect to their own moral values, it could be acceptable to call such a society democratic.

Idk if this serves as a base for discussion... what are your thoughts on the future of democracy? Do you believe that democracy can ever function in a human society?

128250368099.gif

In order for a flawless system such as this, or something like communism (which is a idea in theory), you would have to assume that each person exists without flaws in character, which will never happen.

So, no. It'll never be possible.

emmawatsonjay.png

34rfuk5.png

(+`Obsession) jay is a legend

In order for a flawless system such as this, or something like communism (which is a idea in theory), you would have to assume that each person exists without flaws in character, which will never happen.

So, no. It'll never be possible.

Why would each person have to exist without flaws in character? I'm not talking about a utopia where every human being is "flawless" (= has a similar set of values) and everything works in perfect harmony, I'm talking about democracy. A governmental system that reflects and represents(and respects!) the opinions and moral values of its people and acts according to the majority.

On a side note, what is a "flaw" in character? A deviation from some stereotypical picture of an ideal human being? I would like to think that "flaws" from the mainstream of thought or behavior are what makes the evolution of human society possible and inevitable. I say inevitable, because so far in the history of mankind these flaws have always managed to guide us towards certain ideas, that seem to be comparable to the moral values we have as human beings (for example: human rights, freedom of speech, equality before the law). I'd perhaps go too far to suggest that such "flaws" would be essential for the survival of a democratic society, but they would certainly be critical for the progression of that society.

128250368099.gif

A human's judgement is flawed. In most cases we chose what is best for ourselves, not what's best for others. I believe that's flaw in our character.

That's a very cynical view, I don't believe it to be that simple. If it was, would we ever have come this "far" as a society?

I believe human beings in any society have a set of moral values that respect the people around them. We can argue humans are actually selfish by nature or not, but whether our moral values are only a result of our growing environment or a part of our nature, the fact remains that they are very real and guide our daily actions. Most people in "civilized" society share some moral values that are a direct consequence and reflection of our environment. We criminalize killing, stealing, hurting other people, and tons of other things that majority of us deems morally wrong. Similarly, we think of caring and helping other people, generally all empathy, as the morally right thing to do. These values seem to be somewhat universal and dominant in all human societies, though they are subject to change as is the society that (arguably) determines them.

Wouldn't it then be inevitable that a democratic society would, in good and bad, be the reflection of these moral values that we generally share. Are we really selfish like you say? All polls conducted anywhere in the world(if this isn't obvious to someone I suppose I can provide some sources) seem to indicate that people oppose wars, famine, environmental destruction, violence and many other challenges that human society faces today, and are willing to share much of what they have to rid of these problems. I can't help but think what the direct result of this incredible empathy in a democratic society and world would be.

tl;dr

I don't believe the lack of moral values is something that stops the human kind from forming a democratic society, on the contrary, I believe human beings in a society have a similar set of moral values that serves as a good base for a democratic society.

128250368099.gif

Living in a democracy would suck, majority would always rule even though it's not always the right thing.

I sure do love living in a republic though:

a state in which the supreme power rests in the body of citizens entitled to vote and is exercised by representatives chosen directly or indirectly by them.
Site | #The_Hatred | Memberlist
animateduserbarthehatred.gif