Welcome to Pure Warfare - The #1 Community for Pures

Welcome to Pure Warfare - The #1 Community for Pures, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Pure Warfare - The #1 Community for Pures by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Fraternities

Attack

I am just wondering your all's opinions on fraternities.

I am in a fraternity, so I am in the middle of Greek life. I can tell you guys a lot of stereotypes are not true. There are always going to be people that match the stereotypes, we even have some, and some schools have a crazy and disgraceful Greek life, but most are not like Animal House.

For example, the fraternity I am in is known for our grades on campus, our leadership, our safe but really fun parties (we don't drug girls or let anything bad happen to them and ALWAYS have DD's, people get back safe, etc), and we are actually known as the nice guys. We work hard, but also play hard.

I am just wondering what you guys think of when you think about a fraternity.

enemysignature.png

The thing is that kids in high school watch movies that have college life thrown WAY out of proportion. They make it seem that college (and Greek Life) is all about parties, having sex, and passing classes by miraculously pulling an all night study session with the background music being Rocky.

I haven't joined a Frat nor will I seeing as I live at home (by choice). I don't mind Frat Houses, but I find it pointless to join one seeing as I live 15 minutes originally from the campus. I know I don't HAVE to live in the Frat House, but a majority of being a part of the House is spending time in it, which I would have.

Anyways TL;DR

Frat Houses are HEAVILY exaggerated in movies and people have the wrong impression of Frats.

~Nosympathy

The thing is that kids in high school watch movies that have college life thrown WAY out of proportion. They make it seem that college (and Greek Life) is all about parties, having sex, and passing classes by miraculously pulling an all night study session with the background music being Rocky.

I haven't joined a Frat nor will I seeing as I live at home (by choice). I don't mind Frat Houses, but I find it pointless to join one seeing as I live 15 minutes originally from the campus. I know I don't HAVE to live in the Frat House, but a majority of being a part of the House is spending time in it, which I would have.

Anyways TL;DR

Frat Houses are HEAVILY exaggerated in movies and people have the wrong impression of Frats.

~Nosympathy

We actually do not have houses. We have two dorms called the "Greek Towers". My school was a MAJOR party school back in the day (the school has gotten stricter) but from what I understand there USE to be houses, but took those away, and a few years ago had the Greek Towers. One is for fraternities, one is for sororities.

Greek life is extremely exaggerated - it is definitely not about parties. It is about brotherhood. When I got a bid and started my journey to becoming a member of a fraternity I understood it all. It is so much different inside it. Yes, there are parties and you can be a man-***** if you want, but that is not who we are.

enemysignature.png

American Pie comes to mind

Dang you beat me to it! I was gonna come edit my post with an American Pie video :P

~Nosympathy

Anyways TL;DR

~Nosympathy

We actually do not have houses. We have two dorms called the "Greek Towers". My school was a MAJOR party school back in the day (the school has gotten stricter) but from what I understand there USE to be houses, but took those away, and a few years ago had the Greek Towers. One is for fraternities, one is for sororities.

Greek life is extremely exaggerated - it is definitely not about parties. It is about brotherhood. When I got a bid and started my journey to becoming a member of a fraternity I understood it all. It is so much different inside it. Yes, there are parties and you can be a man-***** if you want, but that is not who we are.

I've never actually heard of a campus doing away with Houses and creating towers. Can I ask how those towers actually work? Is the tower separated horizontally or vertically? What a fascinating concept though to the Greek system in my opinion.

~Nosympathy

American Pie comes to mind

Dang you beat me to it! I was gonna come edit my post with an American Pie video :P

~Nosympathy

Anyways TL;DR

~Nosympathy

I've never actually heard of a campus doing away with Houses and creating towers. Can I ask how those towers actually work? Is the tower separated horizontally or vertically? What a fascinating concept though to the Greek system in my opinion.

~Nosympathy

They use to be just normal dorms. From what I understand, a lot of people in Greek organizations would still try to get a lot of them on the same floor in a dorm anyway, and this just made it more convenient. They are not connected in any way, but are a little less than 100 yards away from each other. There are eleven floors in both, in ours two fraternities share a floor on two different floors (TKE and Theta Chi, KA and SAE), and there aren't enough sororities (Panhellenic sororities) to fill all. If we were to try to have official houses now it would be really expensive to start up and only one fraternity here we know for sure could afford it.

safe

fun

Pick one.

We picked both.

enemysignature.png

Lexington Triad, I see (I'm a brother of ATO)

I am in a fraternity at one of the biggest party schools in the nation. Sure, we love to rage and have fun. But, we do much more good then bad. Last year, we raised $327,000 towards fighting kids cancer through the largest student run philanthropy in the world, THON. Our fraternity is involved in campus and community events. But hell yeah we love to party, too. Greek life is so misconstrued by so many people. I strongly advise anyone to at least Rush(you'll learn when in college) Greek life and check it out

wearelions.png
Hostility
#clan-hi
Click Here for Our Forums

knuckscopy.jpg

Lexington Triad, I see (I'm a brother of ATO)

I am in a fraternity at one of the biggest party schools in the nation. Sure, we love to rage and have fun. But, we do much more good then bad. Last year, we raised $327,000 towards fighting kids cancer through the largest student run philanthropy in the world, THON. Our fraternity is involved in campus and community events. But hell yeah we love to party, too. Greek life is so misconstrued by so many people. I strongly advise anyone to at least Rush(you'll learn when in college) Greek life and check it out

We don't have ATO here, but we have KA Order

And you prove a great point. Sure, we all do rage, but we aren't like Animal House and most of us do not cross lines and are respectful to people.

enemysignature.png

Rather not live on campus for the university I go to. Much nicer to find cheap student housing - but meet your roommate before you move in ; )

Most my friends in 2nd year said they regretted living in residence because they never got any work done. Obviously your gunna spend your weekends getting ****** up but when it becomes daily routene your not going to function.

Also it depends on your major. Im in hard sciences. If my major was psychology or some other bs like that id get drunk erry day lol.

[x] Group venge -- [x] Maxed Turmoil -- F2P retired

Starcraft 2 | Team Liquid

I'm a Mechanical Engineer and still in a fraternity. As stated above, being involved in Greek Life does not involve getting drunk everyday. In fact, with all else that a fraternity is involved in(philanthropic events, IM sports, etc.) I wouldn't even consider drinking and partying as the large part of it. You have brothers for life, a bond I have yet to see taught/exercised in any other form.

wearelions.png
Hostility
#clan-hi
Click Here for Our Forums

knuckscopy.jpg

Rather not live on campus for the university I go to. Much nicer to find cheap student housing - but meet your roommate before you move in ; )

Most my friends in 2nd year said they regretted living in residence because they never got any work done. Obviously your gunna spend your weekends getting ****** up but when it becomes daily routene your not going to function.

Also it depends on your major. Im in hard sciences. If my major was psychology or some other bs like that id get drunk erry day lol.

I don't regret it. I am here for the education but also here for the experience. Also there are some quiet places around campus to study, you are not confined to your dorm.

enemysignature.png