Welcome to Pure Warfare - The #1 Community for Pures

Welcome to Pure Warfare - The #1 Community for Pures, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Pure Warfare - The #1 Community for Pures by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

How To Record Runescape

Jack-x2yz

JACK_X2YZ's guide on how to record runescape

For a long time I have been scouring the internet to find the perfect software and codecs to film runesape with. The current "standard" for runescape recording is to use camtasia studio with the TSCC codec. There are several flaws with this, firstly is the weight of camtasia studio it's self, its a glutens program that doesn't agree with runescape causing most players sever lag. Secondly camtasia uses a three second countdown, which obvious if you wish to record your fights is not very practical. Another down side to camtasia is that you are meant to pay for it after the 30 days or over, I wanted to find a completely free alternative. I downloaded literally hundreds of screen recorder and codecs, testing them all out for compatibility with runescape. I believe Debut with the TSCC codec is the best screen recorder out there.

Step 1: Installing

Step 1 - Part 1: Download and installing TSCC

Click this link http://download.techsmith.com/tscc/tscc.exe and install the codec

Step 1 - Part 2: Download and installing Debut

Click this link http://www.nchsoftware.com/capture/debutsetup.exe and install Debut (make sure to only install debut, it trys to trick you into installing more)

Step 2: Set Debut to use the TSCC codec

Step 2 - Part 1:Open debut and click the "screen" button at the top (it's the selected button in the image below) and you should see a screen much like this one (see below) In the bottom left corner it says "record as" with a drop down box next to it (Saying .avi in the picture) click it and make sure it's set to .avi

screen1xl.png

Step 2 - Part 2: Next to where you just set Debut to record as a .avi there is a button saying "Encoder Options" click it, a new box should appear Make sure it looks like the following

screen2ny.png

Step 2: Part 3 - Next click the "Edit Output..." button next to the "Encoder Options..." button and make sure it looks like the following

screen3nt.png

Step 3: Setting the record area

Step 3 - Part 1: Along the top there should be a button saying "Selections" if you refer back to the first image it's clearly visible, there is a little diagram of a white screen. Click this button and this screen will open

screen4r.png

click Add Rectangle and follow the on-screen instructions. After selecting a name, click on the option that should have been generated in the white section and click "use this selection"

Step 4: Options

The option section is really up to you, customise it for how you want to use it. The options are rather user friendly and straight forwards. In this section you can set what happens when you press record, wether it bleeps, minimizes etc. You can also change the default hotkeys. There is also a usefull option under the "other" tab called "Sound Record Tone Every (seconds)" this option will bleep every 30 seconds (default) when recording, this is the only indication to remind you it's still running, I have had times where I have accidental ran the recorder for several hours because I forgot it was turned on. Also if you would want to utilise the snap shot utility change the compression type to .png under the snapshots tab.

And that's it, you should now be able to record quickly and easily, just click the big red button or the keystroke (default is Shift+F6) then click stop recording when your done (default is Shift+F7) then simply navigate to your output folder (default is C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\Videos\Debut) Thats it, you have now recorded footage! Now you just need to open up your editing software of choice and edit it!

Credit: Jack_x2yz - author and researcher

Speshls Own - Editor

Pump - Test dummy

Feel free to post this on what ever forum you like, just make sure everyone who worked on this guys receives the credit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have no problems with Camtasia, runs legit on my pc. Good guide anyway.

As for you trying to slag off Camtasia I couldn't understand half if not all of it...

Firstly the weight of camtasia studio it's self, its a glutens program that doesn't agree with runescape causing most players sever lag.

1.The weight? I'm sorry but weight isn't a measurement for computer programs.

2. Glutens? The protein that is in most foods? What does this have to do with Camtasia?

3. And as for the lagg, I don't have a problem there but I see why some people might.

Secondly camtasia uses a three second countdown, which obvious if you wish to record your fights is not very practical.

What 3 second shut-down? When you close the program itself? I don't see how this effects recording fights.

Another down side to camtasia is that you are meant to pay for it after the 30 days or over, I wanted to find a completely free alternative.

It took me about 5 Minutes using Google to find a solution to this. If you use Sony Vegas or any other paid-for program then I'm sure you've done the same as me. If not and you use WMM then I'm sorry but your video's will be far inferior.

Overall you have one legitimate claim that Camtasia sucks balls, and that's the lag. You just need a better PC...

I'm not trying to slag you off or anything. I mean, its a good guide and I'm sure people will find it useful. Its just I don't quite understand what you are getting at.

n4jol4.gif
K0_W_N_A_G_E.png

Why not just get Camtasia?

Because it's horrible, it's slow, causes alot of players lag, it's illegal to download the full version and forces to you render every clip after recording.

True camtasia can be an ass alot of the time