Welcome to Pure Warfare - The #1 Community for Pures

Welcome to Pure Warfare - The #1 Community for Pures, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Pure Warfare - The #1 Community for Pures by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Security, security, security!

Karl

Hello guys,

You're all aware that within the RuneScape community a lot of bad things happen, even illegal things, from hacking to DDoSing. Everyone knows what they are, but fewer still know how to protect against them so I'm going to show you some tips to keep your information secure.

Real Life Information

Many people like to get other peoples' real life information, whether it's their first and last name, or even their address. There are people who will try to find out as much information about you as possible. One reason is so that they can "bully" you on the internet through the use of said information, another reason is to try and recover your account/email.

If you'd like to know more on how to secure this information please refer to a topic I wrote quite a while ago:

http://www.pure-warfare.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=24247

It explains the different methods that some "hackers" use to Dox (gain personal information) you.

IP Addresses/DDoSing

DDoSing and IP harvesting is pretty big in the PK'ing/Staking worlds, just because there's potentially a lot of money at stake but that's also flowed over to the clanning community also. There are many ways you can prevent people gaining your IP Address.

Firstly, here on Pure Warfare we take IP Harvesting very seriously, we've taken certain steps to ensure that your IP Addresses which are logged for various reasons remain secure and private. As you know from a recent topic, we now only allow certain image hosts to be used on our forums, this is to stop people gaining your IP Addresses through the use of images. Also, due to a few "rogue" moderators we disabled the viewing of IP Addresses for everyone except Admins, this was changed a few months ago but many people are still unaware of the change.

What else can you do to stop your IP Address being leaked?

Well for one, only join TeamSpeak servers that you're comfortable going on, your IP Addresses are logged on all TS servers.

Secondly, don't register on other clans forums, as they're also logged from the moment you register.

Thirdly, watch the links that you click on, if you don't trust it 100% then don't click on it.

There are many other ways people can get your IP Address, but just be smart and don't give them an easy way of obtaining it.

Someone is DDoSing me, what can I do?

Firstly, if you have a dynamic IP address, simply turn your router off and turn it back on again after 60 seconds. This will force your ISP (Internet Service Provider) to issue you with a new IP Address.

If your IP didn't change then it means you have a static IP Address, but don't worry! Simply call your ISP and explain the situation and ask them to give you a new IP Address, most companies will do this without a problem.

Once you have a new IP Address, try to remember what you were last doing during the day and think of how someone could have obtained your IP, then simply avoid doing it again.

Another thing you can do to stop people obtaining your IP Address is to use a VPN (Virtual Private Network), although for a decent and reliable one you'll need to pay around $10 for one. It basically masks your real IP Address with another one whilst you're browsing the internet.

Account Hacking

If you've recently been hacked (since the release of JAG) then it's entirely your own fault. No one should be getting hacked anymore, all you need to do is enable JAG (Jagex Account Security), it works similarly to Facebook in the sense that you have to manually approve each device to access your account. You only need to do this once if you want the device to permanently have access to your account (you can remove it after), or you can set a device to have temporary access to your account.

Basically if you have your recovery questions set, an email account set on your account and JAG activated, there's no way that you can get hacked unless you allow someone to go on your account. So I'd strongly recommend enabling it.

Email Addresses

On the internet your email address is one of the most vital pieces of information you own, it allows you to recover lost accounts (not only RuneScape), and you can also get alerts from Jagex if someone is trying to recover your account/change your password, etc.

However, an email address can also be a liability due to the fact it can link people to your real life information. I cannot make it anymore clear, use a separate email for RuneScape related things. If you register on Pure Warfare, or a clan website, use a different email address to your Facebook account, then people won't be able to harvest information on you.

Pure Warfare only needs an email address so that you can recover your account, there's no other reason why we store it. Just make sure it's a valid email so that you don't lose your PW account. I urge everyone who currently uses their real life email to create a new one and change it immediately.

If you have anymore questions, please ask away and I'll try my best to answer them.

Regards,

Karl

favadmin.png
IRC Nick - ``Karl
"You lost me at biased."
Need help? PM me

purewarfare.png

Thanks for making this Karl, very informative. I'd also just like to say in my 3(?) years of using PW I have not been DDoSed.

Well for one, only join TeamSpeak servers that you're comfortable going on, your IP Addresses are logged on all TS servers.

Secondly, don't register on other clans forums, as they're also logged from the moment you register.

Thirdly, watch the links that you click on, if you don't trust it 100% then don't click on it.

There are many other ways people can get your IP Address, but just be smart and don't give them an easy way of obtaining it.

Firstly, if you have a dynamic IP address, simply turn your router off and turn it back on again after 60 seconds. This will force your ISP (Internet Service Provider) to issue you with a new IP Address.

If your IP didn't change then it means you have a static IP Address, but don't worry! Simply call your ISP and explain the situation and ask them to give you a new IP Address, most companies will do this without a problem.

Once you have a new IP Address, try to remember what you were last doing during the day and think of how someone could have obtained your IP, then simply avoid doing it again.

Crucial stuff right here if you want to do your pure clanning safely. Everyone should know this.

99 :: Range Mage Att HP Str Slay Farm Pray Summ Cook Herb WC FM Fletch Smith Craft Con RC Dung Thief Agil Fish Hunt Mine
42 :: Defence

Thanks for making this Karl, very informative. I'd also just like to say in my 3(?) years of using PW I have not been DDoSed.

Crucial stuff right here if you want to do your pure clanning safely. Everyone should know this.

well said HELLA ;p

Proud @๖ۣۜHigh Council of the Most Hated Pure clan.

It's basically just common sense, never known why it's such a huge problem. I've also never been ddosed or hacked.

omnicorpcopy.png

raafcj.png

QUOTE (Kingrang3194 @ Jul 21 2012, 07:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

rofl why is a banana

Silly Caucasian girl likes to play with samurai swords.

Hopefully will stop more people being hacked.

Final Ownage Elite

Home of the Greatest. Legends of P2P

www.Foe-Rs.net

5peydw.gif

1zcictw.png

Azrael Warned on Feb 6 2012, 03:01 AM View Topic

Added to warn level: Did I just see a ***** made of adamant? I think so.

Hopefully will stop more people being hacked.

Final Ownage Elite

Home of the Greatest. Legends of P2P

www.Foe-Rs.net

5peydw.gif

1zcictw.png

Azrael Warned on Feb 6 2012, 03:01 AM View Topic

Added to warn level: Did I just see a ***** made of adamant? I think so.

honestly, if you get hacked/ratted you're a retard. if you get DDoS'd it's not necessarily your fault, unless you went into a ts/website/other possible source of ip grabbing without caring what the outcome would be.

Ex-Member of Fatality
Ex-High Council of We Are Royalty
Ex-Leader of Infamous
Ex-Member of Enemy
Ex-Member of Final Ownage Elite
Member of Exiled Force