Welcome to Pure Warfare - The #1 Community for Pures

Welcome to Pure Warfare - The #1 Community for Pures, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Pure Warfare - The #1 Community for Pures by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

How to avoid being Phished

Karl

Hello,

I'm posting this topic because lately I've had numerous people come to me saying they have been phished and if I can look up an IP for them.

I'm not sure how you guys can fall for a phishing scam.

2iho0mh.png

As you can see by the image above, there is a green bar. This proves the legitimacy of a website as proves the website has an SSL certificate. Upon clicking it, you will be shown further information about the certificate in question.

ifr9qd.png

The above image shows the certificate is owned and licensed to Jagex Limited. It also shows the real URL. Which obviously is RuneScape.com.

Another thing is, upon logging in on RuneScape's website you will be taken to https. Note carefully the "s" at the end, this means it is secure and your data is encrypted prior to being sent across the internet. These are tell-tale signs of a completely legitimate website.

You can also avoid being phished by not clicking random links. A lot of phishing websites look real, but they will have flaws. For example certain images not showing up, no secure pages, and the URL will be different.

Please stop falling for these stupid scams, there are simply enough ways to check if a website is a legitimate one or not.

favadmin.png
IRC Nick - ``Karl
"You lost me at biased."
Need help? PM me

purewarfare.png

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

u r the best karl

Proud founder of Violent Demise
Proud Member of Intense Redemption
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
intense.png

You should NEVER enter your login information or download anything without knowing what website you're on. That's just basic common sense.

emmawatsonjay.png

34rfuk5.png

(+`Obsession) jay is a legend

Doesn't work on google chrome. So take care if you use chrome, use the offical client to log into runescape, always direct yourself to the webpage if you need to.

Your all saying that it's there own stupidity that people fall for these tricks, but some can be rather convincing, especially if your young and not used to these things. Even vets fall for these tricks, when they become complacent or are over tired. No one looks at the address bar everytime they log into runescape.

As stated earlier a better prevention to getting phished is to always play the game on Swiftkit or the official Runescape client. If you ever have to log onto the website to change your password or anything like that, always type the address in yourself and navigate yourself to the page on your own. Never log in off a link some one else gave you, look at it by all means but always type in www.runescape.com yourself before you log in anywhere. N I mean never log in to runescape from anyone, even your friends. It's not hard to make a name that looks similar to there's in a attempt to phish you.